A sweet and spicy honey-and-chile glazed grilled chicken dish, this one is so simple, yet delicious.
The first step in making this dish is to prepare a New Mexico red chile sauce. This is a basic chile sauce that may be used in many New Mexican dishes – over enchiladas, in posole, on eggs, in burritos, over beans.
Addition of honey makes a rich glaze that, when combined with the heat of the chile and a bit of salt from broth, makes a sauce that kicks up your typical barbequed chicken.
I make this at home, on my patio, and at camp, as it requires few ingredients and is portable, especially if you make the red chile in advance.
I like to serve this with “green” (cilantro-based) or other rice and a salad with a creamy dressing – Ranch or Green Goddess. Perfect for all seasons!
Honey Red Chile Glazed Grilled Chicken
- 1/8 cup butter may substitute oil, but it is less flavorful
- 1/8 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/8 cup New Mexico red chile powder heat level to your liking – mild, medium, or hot
- 1 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup honey locally sourced if you can find
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 pound chicken breasts, thighs, or legs boneless recommended if you want a very even grill/grillmarks, but not necessary
- Heat grill or coals to medium.
- In medium skillet over medium low heat, melt butter or oil.
- To skillet, add flour and cook until flour, stirring, until evenly and lightly browned. Do not burn.
- Add red chile powder and continue cooking until lightly toasted.
- Pour in beef broth, increase heat to medium, and stir well to incorporate liquid.
- Cook until silky and slightly bubbly, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in honey and salt to taste.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Reserve 1/2 of glaze in small bowl to serve alongside chicken.
- If using chicken breasts, slice lengthwise so that breasts are about 1/2 inch in thickness. Place chicken on medium hot grill.
- Grill 10 minutes and flip.
- Baste with remaining 1/2 of honey red chile glaze and continue grilling, about 7-10 more minutes until tender to touch when pressing with finger or internal temperature registers 165F. Flip.
- Baste up-side and grill 2 minutes, Flip.
- Grill another 2 minutes just until glaze is lightly charred and remove chicken to plate.
- Serve with reserved honey glaze mixture.