This is a ridiculously easy, healthy, and hearty salad perfect for lunch or a light dinner served along with soup or a crusty bread.
I made this during a recent overnight camping adventure – see my post “On Conquering Fears II: Overnight Camping.” https://on-conquering-fears-ii-overnight-camping
Although it was just me and my constant companion puppy, this salad was a hit!
But truly, I have made this salad many times, both at home and elsewhere, as it is so easy and my family loves it.
A friend recommended adding finely chopped red onion and bleu cheese, which I think is an excellent idea.
You can also add walnuts or pecans – candied or roasted, even plain! Or dried cranberries, diced apple, or other cheese such as feta or goat cheese.
You won’t catch me making anything with goat cheese though. It’s one of those taste aversions I developed from a childhood memory.
Suffice to say, when I attended a rather weird private school in the high mountains of New Mexico we were served goat’s milk with every lunch. Yuck!
But on to the yummy stuff! Here is the recipe.
Bacon-and-Egg Greens Salad with Radicchio, Grapes, and Vinaigrette
For the Salad
- 4 slices bacon cooked until crisp and rough chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 eggs hard boiled and chopped into 1/2-inch segments
- 1 ripe avocado diced
- 2 cups fresh salad greens roughly torn into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup radicchio roughly torn
- 20 seedless red grapes sliced in half
For the Vinaigrette
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp local honey
- 1/4 cup rice wine or white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Chop salad ingredients roughly and add to large salad bowl, taking care not to damage eggs
- Drizzle with vinaigrette and toss well
Enjoy and let me know what you decide to add to this salad!